22.2.09

Strawberry Jam

I was inspired by Happy Home Baking to try making my own jam since I have a small punnet of strawberry in my fridge. This amount of strawberries only yielded a small jar of jam.

Strawberries have to be halved and soaked in sugar syrup and stored in the fridge overnight before they are cooked over a stove of low heat.


















The ingredients are so simple as these:



Ingredients:
1 punnet of strawberries (about 250g)
1/2 cup of sugar*
2 tbsp of lemon juice
Method:
1. Washed clean strawberries. Halved & hull them. Mashed the strawberries. (I missed out this step, that's why you can still see the berries in my jam)
2. Put mashed strawberries in a container and pour sugar in. Mix the strawberries and sugar evenly to make sure all strawberries are covered by sugar. Cover the container and place in the fridge for overnight.
3. Cook the sweetened strawberries on a wide pan over a low heat. Stir often.
4. Pour the lemon juice in after the berries are cooked for 8-10 mins.
5. Continue to cook the berries. By now, the mixture will be jammy.
6. Turn off fire and pour mixture in sterilised jar, leaving about one half inch between the jam and the rim. Place lid on jar.

* You can increase the sugar amount if you have a sweet tooth. However, do not decrease the sugar amount as it is used to preserve the jam.

One of my favourite Chinese Foodie Blog Mitong (小米桶) has a clear explanation on making Strawberry Jam, but is in Chinese.

My jam turned out to be a bit runny as I did not use Pectin as I want my jam to be as natural as possible. Well, today I tried my jam on a slice of multigrain bread, and the taste of the jam was just right for my taste bud. (a pat on my shoulder ;-p)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Life's Journey Together

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Easy Counter