My mum and I love snacks made from coconut. For example ondeh ondeh (a nonya snack make of sweet potatoe), putu mayam (an Indian food make of rice noodles that goes well with freshly grated coconut), Chinese tutu (a snack make of rice flour with grated cocconut cooked in gula melaka) etc etc. The list can go on & on.
However, my mum doesn't like butter and milk. Hence, when I make these little muffins using dessicated coconut, I made some changes to the original recipe from here. And for all you know, I accidentally omitted putting baking powder, thus, you can see that my muffins did not rise a lot, kinda tiny ...... Low fat evaporated milk has very mild taste, so my mum did not notice I do use milk in these muffins. WHEW!
35g unsalted butter (i changed to using sunflower oil)
40g brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
50g dessicated coconut
50g plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder (i accidentally omitted this!)
35ml milk (i changed to using low fat evaporated milk)
1. Preheat oven at 180*C.
2. Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.
3. Add beaten egg in additions to Step 2, mix well.
4. Add dessciated coconut, mix well.
5. Add sifted flour & baking powder, then add milk. Mix well but don't overmix.
6. Spoon batter into muffin liners and bake for 25 mins till golden brown or when skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Let cool on the wire rack.