20.12.09

Christmas isn't Christmas ......

Christmas isn't Christmas till you bake a FRUITCAKE! :-)

For so many Christmases that I had celebrated in the past, I never like to eat fruitcake. However, don't know out of nowhere, I had the idea of baking a fruitcake for this Christmas. It was a month ago. And with that idea, I bought a packet of mixed peel & raisins, some glaced cherries. When I reached home, I quickly soaked all these ingredients with a cup of brandy. I soaked it for nearly a month. Only a few days ago, I used them to bake the fruitcake. And I tell you, I have fallen in LOVE with fruitcake :-) LOL The taste of cinnamon and nutmeg in the cake make it so enticing. Even my mum who doesn't like buttery cakes also commented that the cake was simply lovely. I will definitely have another round of baking this cake again. Soon.

For the fruitcake recipe, I got it from Susan's Blog, but I made some modifications.
Fruit Cake Ingredients:
250 g butter (melted)
250 g brown sugar
5 eggs
450 g self-raising flour (sifted)
100 g white raisins*
100 g dried blackcurrants*
100 g red cherries*
100 g green cherries*
150 g mixed peel*
grated peel of 1 orange
grated peel of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1 cup ( abt 250ml) of XO Martel (is not in the original recipe, I add my own)

* I did not follow her exact ingredients but I used the pre-packed mixed peel with addition of a packet of raisins.

Fruit Cake Method Step By Step:
1. Combine butter, sugar and eggs. Beat till fluffy. Add flour and the remaining ingredients.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C.
3. Grease a baking tin and pour in cake mixture.
4. Bake cake for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to 140°C and bake for another 30 minutes.
5. Remove and leave cake to cool completely on wire rack. Slice cake and serve.

I baked this loaf in a big loaf pan.
This is the smaller loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Life's Journey Together

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Easy Counter