26.8.10

Pumpkin Green Bean Sweet Soup金瓜绿豆甜汤

Pumpkins are rich in Vitamin A and potassium. They are also high in fiber. The conclusion you should now be reaching is that they are therefore good for you.

From a medicinal standpoint, pumpkins have been used for a variety of ailments:

1) They were once recommended as a cure for freckles - aha, women take note :-)
2) They were used as a remedy for snake bites - ouch! it hurts ...
3) The seeds help avoid prostate cancer in men - oho! men's glad tidings!

Hence, pumpkin is a good source of nutrition and it can be cooked in many many ways.  For Chinese recipes for Pumpkin, click here (金瓜做法大全).  For western recipes, click here.

As for me, I used Pumpkin in its simplest way. Cubed it, cooked with green beans, to become Pumpkin Green Bean Sweet Soup 南瓜绿豆甜汤.
Green beans, which are also known as Mung Beans, contain rich quantities of Vitamin A, B, C and E. They are also known to be an excellent source of many minerals, such as calcium, iron and potassium.

The bean is popular as the perfect food for reducing weight. It is recommended as a food replacement in many slimming programs, as it has a very low fat content. It is a rich source of protein and fiber, which helps one to lower the high cholesterol level in the blood system.

The high fiber content of mung beans yields complex carbohydrates, which aid digestion. Complex carbs are also effective in stabilizing blood sugar and prevent its rapid rise after meal consumption, apart from keeping body’s energy at a balanced level. Those who suffer from diabetes or high cholesterol are recommended frequent consumption of mung bean.

In Chinese medicine, mung bean sprouts are considered as a cooling food (凉性食物), containing anti-cancer properties. Herbalists use them for all hot, inflammatory conditions, ranging from systematic infections to heat stroke and even hypertension.

Especially living in Singapore with such humid weather, it is good to have mung beans in our diet.   Mung bean is great in making dessert, e.g. Green bean cake, green bean sweet soup etc. Mung bean sprout (绿豆芽儿) can be stir-fried with chives to make a healthy and tasty savoury dish.
Some desserts using mung beans:

Mung Bean Cake
Tau Sha Bia (Mung Bean Biscuit)
Fried Mung Bean, a Malay snack
Bubur Kachang aka Mung Bean Porridge with coconut milk
Tau Suan, a Chinese dessert common in local hawker centres.

4 comments:

  1. I just posted a comment, but I don't think it got through. I love pumpkin! When I was smaller, I didn't even want to touch it, but ever since I started eating healthier I discovered that it was something I liked a lot. I especially like the steamed pumpkin my mom makes, I can never stop myself from eating more. Thanks for the helpful info about green beans! I must eat more...so should my dad, because his cholesterol level is probably higher now because of me baking so much during the summer. The soup looks sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther you are a vy filial daughter :-) your dad must love you vy much.
    Yes green beans are healthy food. However, must take note of this. As it is 凉性食物,we as woman shouldn't consume too much. When you cook, make sure the beans must cook till soft and the skin split.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esther, I am so suaku, I never eat pumpkin grean bean soup b4, I will try next time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess
    Thanks for dropping by. Mostly we see pple eat green bean soup with sweet potato. Can be substituted by pumpkin too. Hope you like it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Our Life's Journey Together

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Easy Counter