I cooked this mutton stew for Sunday afternoon lunch. I ate it with baguette and a few home-made garlic bread. It is a nice combination.
This is a simple dish with ingredients mostly found in our kitchen. Except red wine which most of us don't own a bottle at home. However, this is optional if you are not a wine drinker. Give it a try if you love mutton dishes.
Thank you Aunty Young for sharing such a nice and easy recipe. Recipe is from here.
Ingredients for Red Wine Mutton Stew:
1 kg lamb shoulder/cubes
1 cup red wine
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves of garlice, crushed
2 inches of thinly sliced ginger
1 big carrot, small chunks
2-4 tbsp of tomato purée/ketchup
1 can button mushrooms
2 tbsp of oil
1-1.5 ltrs of water
2 tbsp flour
Some Chinese parsley, for garnish
1 tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a big pot, heat up oil and brown the onion, garlic and ginger.
2. Add in the lamb pieces and carrots. Brown the meat to seal in the juices.
3. Pour in mushrooms, tomato purée, seasoning and red wine. Bring to boil over medium heat.
4. Add water and simmer until the meat is tender.
5. Mix flour with 1/2 cup water and stir into the pot to thicken gravy. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with rice or bread.